What classifies a pet as exotic?Last modified:
Exotic pets are more unusual animals that are less commonly kept domestically, and are usually not indigenous to the UK. This can include animals such as:
- Reptiles (e.g. iguanas, snakes and tortoises)
- Exotic birds (e.g. parrots)
- Exotic mammals (e.g. guinea pigs, micro pigs and pygmy hedgehogs)
Just like any other animal, exotic pets are susceptible to injuries and illnesses that could result in unexpected vet bills. With the reassurance of an insurance policy in place, you don’t have to worry about the cost of treatment.
Want to find out more about exotic pet insurance?
Have a look at our new guide to exotic pet insurance comparison UK, which covers topics such as:
- How much does exotic pet insurance cost?
- What does exotic pet insurance cover?
- What to consider before buying an exotic pet
- How much is an exotic pet license?
- Useful FAQs